If you think you have been click-baited to read this article, then I must tell you upfront that it’s not the case.It’s actually possible to bypass people’s logical brains using certain methodologies which doesn’t include fooling them or acting against their best interest but the purpose of this is to get your message across in the manner you want it to be received.
In last 10 years, a lot of research has been done in the field of Neuro-Science, that now you can literally use it to find out how human brain works and functions.
The formula I am going to talk about has its deep roots in how human brain is wired.
Human brain has three parts
1. Crocodile brain (Reptilian brain)
2. Mid-brain (Limbic brain)
First information, gets into crocodile brain, if it finds information safe, it sends it for processing to middle brain, and then if it passes the same test, then only it is sent to neo-cortex.
1. Croc brain-Survival
2. Neo-cortex-Problem solving
Messages that are composed and sent by your neo-cortex are received and processed by the other person’s crocodile brain, but no message is going to get to the logic center of the other person’s brain without passing through the survival filters of the crocodile brain system first.
And because of the way we evolved, those filters make using vague, superficial terms anything extremely difficult.
So instead of communicating with people, your best accomplishments can bounce off their crocodile brains and crash back into your face in the form of objections, disruptive behaviors, nonsense questions and lack of interest.
If you got a chance to look at the crocodile brain’s filtering instructions, it would look something like this:
1. If it’s not life-threatening, ignore it.
2. If it’s not new and exciting, ignore it.
3. If it is new, summarize it as quickly as possible—and forget about the details.
And finally there is this specific instruction:
4. Do not send anything up to the neo-cortex for problem solving unless you have a situation that is really unexpected and out of the ordinary.
Sure, after initial filtering, parts of your message move quickly through the mid-brain and on to the neo-cortex, but the damage to your message has already been done.
First, given the limited focus and capacity of the crocodile brain, up to 90 percent of your message is discarded before it’s passed on up to the mid-brain and then on to the neo-cortex.
Second, unless your message is presented in such a way that the crocodile brain views it to be new and exciting—it is going to be ignored. Hint Hint …….
Here Irresistible Intrigue Formula comes into play.
Third, if whatever you say is complicated, if it contains abstract language and lacks visual cues—then it is perceived as a threat.
When your brain is presented with this kind of information, a circuit breaker in your brain is tripped.
A neuro-toxin gets attached to the potentially threatening message which, in turn, routes your message to the Amygdala for processing and destruction.
So the message has one of the following fates
1. Boring: Ignore it.
2. Dangerous: Fight/run.
3. Complicated: Radically summarize (invariably causing a lot to be lost in the process) and pass it in severely truncated form
So the solution is
1. Ignore if boring —use Irresistible Hooks
2. Short attention span— engaging (open Intrigue story loops, nested loops if possible)
3.Need concrete data—-use specific examples
4. No complicated terms—–plain English principle
Irresistible Hook + Intrigue Story Loop + 3 step formula to answer any question = Killer Response (plus bypassing Amygdala)
The following two tabs change content below.
Sukrut is a passionate geek, internet visionary and a full time blogger, he has been teaching MBA students from the past two years, he is a chemical engineer by qualification,. Read my full story here
Latest posts by Sukrut (see all)
- How to Choose Right B-School without in(wasting) lot of money ? - August 22, 2015
- Aravindh P G Shares his CAT 2014 Success Story - June 7, 2015
- How to ace CAT without screwing up your life ? - May 13, 2015